Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sylvia's Bridal Sampler


I saw this as a BOM on one of the online quilt shops I frequently drool over browse, but I wanted to personalize it with choosing my own colors (although I do love the colors above) and I also wanted to have it done in less than 1-1/2 years. I decided to do this as a solids quilt. So I went on a search and I found the book at B&N. I was good and only came out with one book from their craft section this time.


It is a touching, yet simple story of how the quilt came together. Sylvia and her husband were married spur of the moment in a simple wedding. The quilt was born from the Elm Creek Quilters who each donated one block. Check it out next time you go to B&N.

I then went to Fat Quarter Shop and browsed their Moda and Robert Kaufman Kona solids. They had FQ bundles for the Kona solids, so I took a chance and decided on them.  My beautiful Robert Kaufman Kona solids came in on Tuesday. Aren't they beautiful! I haven't washed them yet and they are soft and have a good weight to them. I hate when I get thin fabric. (18 lbs of fabric)

IMAG0209

So here's my plan:

The quilt is going to Germany for my husband's cousin's wedding. (My hubby is half German and English is his second language.) So I am debating using just wool batting, wool batting and a cotton batting, or just double cotton batting. Not sure what I'm going to do yet for that. Anyways, the wedding is on October 1 - 3 (apparently they have several different parties for different people and the wedding...a huge celebration unlike here in the US). So I need to have this done before then. There are 140 blocks traditional 6 inch blocks in the quilt.I am giving myself a 2 blocks per day goal for 70 days starting March 15th. The finished quilt will measure 87" x 115". If I have it done in time, I might even enter it in the local quilt show in Sept. *fingers crossed* I am so excited to get this started!

No comments: