Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Farmer's Wife Quilt Sampler Quilt Along

 


 
(Flickr Group Link above)
I had been on the fence about whether or not I wanted to do this quilt sampler. I really loved it, but I hadn't heard good reviews. When I heard that Amanda from MsMcPorkChopQuilts and Angela from Fussy Cuts were doing a quilt along, I wanted in. I thought that it would be awesome to work on this with other people so that if I had problems I could bounce ideas or get help from them. This is a longterm quilt along as it will take about 1 yr to complete, but it is well worth it. Beautiful blocks and great company along with what inspires them about each block.
I really wanted to use 1800s reproduction fabric for this quilt, but Tom just isn't a fan of that fabric. He suggested that I use solids, so I am using various Robert Kaufman Kona solids. There are 111 different blocks in the sampler (which make a queen size quilt). I am going to make the king size quilt which will have 145 blocks (I will be making doubles of 34 blocks). Each block is 6.5 inches unfinished.

The book is much more than just quilting blocks. It includes letters from the 1920s farm wives. These letters are illustrated with the blocks that they inspired for this quilt.

I am a little behind on getting my blocks started because my book was late in getting to me, but I am going to try and keep up. I hope you can join us and if you can't I hope you enjoy my take on these blocks. If you want to follow along with the people on Twitter, just do a search for #FWQAL.

Happy quilting!

No comments: