Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Misfit Quilter's Doll Quilt Swap

I had a lot of fun and a lil bit of a headache doing these blocks! I tried to pick ones that would not only be pretty with the fabrics, but also have a meaning behind them. I picked 6.5 inch blocks from the book Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I used fabric from Sunkissed by Sweetwater for Moda. So, without further ado, here are my blocks in the following layout (left to right, top to bottom). I know some of these are going to be cheese, but that's just me sometimes. lol

Birds in the Air
I choose this block because you're never to old to reach for the sky or lay in the grass looking to the sky. I fussy cut the "birds" to read: plant, life, renew. You should always plant good habits, love, friendship, etc. Always remember to live your "life". Don't get weighed down by the past and negativity. Everything needs to be "renewed" once in a while.


Diamond Friendship
I fussy cut this block to read hope and its definition. We should all never give up hope. No matter how bad something might be, you are not alone and there is always hope. I thought that hope and friendship would go hand in hand.


Pinwheel
Ok so, really this one is just because we should always remember the kid inside of us. Remember the days when we would spend hours blowing into a pinwheel trying to see how fast we could make it spin.


Sister's Choice
Well, simply put, quilters are all sisters (or brothers) held together with a single common thread.


Weathervane
I kinda just thought this one was pretty. We must also be flexable and go where the wind takes us.



Bright Hopes
Same meaning as the "Diamond Friendship". We must always have hope for a better tomorrow.



Snail's Trail
In our fast paced, busy lives we must remember to slow down and enjoy the present. If we go through life too fast, we often miss the small moments that make up our lives.


Sylvia's Shooting Star
My gift to you, make a wish on your shooting star.



Shoo-Fly
"Shoo fly don't bother me." This is to remind you to swat away the negative and downers in life.



Rosebud
Here are some roses for you. Like many of these blocks, this is just another reminder to slow down and smell the roses and not to miss the little things.


Friendship Quilt
Just a thank you and I'm glad that we met and became friends.



Right Hand of Friendship
Last, but not least, I offer my hand to you. If you ever need anything, I will do my best to help (can't promise everything, but what I can do, I will try to do).


...and now, the whole quilt laid out.


(don't mind the mess)

4 comments:

Selina Marie said...

This is so incredibly gorgeous. The thought and care that you put into not only constructing these blocks, but also choosing meaningful ones, is amazing. Your partner is seriously one lucky gal.

Sharon said...

I love the story behind your quilt. I completely agree with Selina, your partner sure is lucky. Beautiful! :)

Sharon Pernes said...

This is truly a beautiful quilt! I hope I'm your Swapee, I would lve to get this one, but whoever it is for will be very lucky

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Such pretty blocks, you are so talented! Love the pinwheel.