Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Stitches

Yesterday is a day that I wish I could go back and redo. Before I get to that I want to show you what I am working on. I was working on Happiness Key Mystery BOM by Pat Sloan's Febuary challenge. We had to use a pie template and make a tote bag. My entry is called "Mud Pie." I will make another post with all the links to the BOM in another post.

Mud Pie

I was working on a yellow band for her hat using a  Clover mini-iron. I will admit that this was the first time I tried using it. Not paying attention to where I put my finger, I pushed it onto the hot iron. Mind you, I pushed my pointer finger of my dominate hand. So I plunged my finger into ice water for 15 mins. So I listened to the little voice in my head and stopped for the day.



Fast Forward 5 hours.

Kids just layed down for bed, so I figured I'd cut out the rest of the bag. I'm cutting out my last part for the night when my mind wanders for a split second...then I feel pain. I realized my rotery cutter jumped my ruler and sliced down my pinky finger. Apparently I had been holding my ruler down awkwardly/wrong. So I run to the bathroom (hubby knowing something was wrong followed close behind). So hubby calls my mom and my sister comes over to watch the kiddos while hubby takes me to the ER. 4-1/2 hrs, 3 stitches, 2 dermabonds later I come home. Changing diapers, feeding Lil Man, and basic everyday tasks are near impossible. I had to wake up poor hubby so he could pick up lil man so I could nurse him last night and probably the next couple nights. Thankfully the weekend is close and 3 of the kiddos can stay with the grandparents. I am so thankful to have family close.

I posted a picture of my finger. If you're squeamish, hit "end" and then scroll up to skip it and see the rest of the post.












Rotary Cutting Accident










You should be good now.

This is my reminder to everyone that when you become distracted or complacent while using sharp objects, you can be seriously hurt. Here are my safety tips:

  1. Always pay attention to the task at hand.
  2. Make sure that you are holding the instruments the correct way.
  3. Don't rush things. Accidents happen when you try to rush.
  4. Spend the extra money on things that will help keep fingers/hands safe.
I am so going to a gypsy gripper now. I have been thinking about it for a long time, but never really thought it would be worth it. I definately see that it is now after the fact.


I hope that everyone can use my experience as a lesson and that you never slice your finger or any part of you.

No comments: